Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Redbeard, 79-84

I'm trying to get all of my posting done by the big showdown on Sunday. Here's a bit more.

From Chapter 79 - The Praire:

"Human or animal, the mystical brow is as that great golden seal affixed by the German emperors to their decrees. It signifies "God: done this day by my hand".

I love the idea of that passage. I wish people were as forthright about the things they did as Melville alludes to. Sort of like, "my word is my bond" or closing a deal by a handshake. Personal ethics and accountability are things that I place a high value on, and you can be sure that if I tell you I'll do something, it will be done.

From Chapter 81 - The Pequod meets the Virgin:

"I tell ye what it is, men" - cried Stubb to his crew - "It's against my religion to get mad; but I'd like to eat that villanous Yarman - Pull - won't ye?"


Stubb would be a fun guy to get drunk with. What sort of person even thinks of something like this, lets alone says it? Hilarious.

"Oh! won't ye pull for your duff, my lads - such a sog! such a sogger! Don't ye love sperm?"

I know I'm taking this line completely out of context, but.. *snicker*


From Chapter 82 - The Honor and Glory of Whaling:

"..that famous story of St. George and the Dragon; which
dragon I maintain to have been a whale; for in many old chronicles whales and dragons are strangely jumbled together, and often stand for each other. "Thou art as a lion of the waters, and as a dragon of the sea.."

That picture on the right is St George and the Dragon, by Rogier van der Weyden (1432). I don't know about you, but this myth must have been really corrupted by this time if it really referred to a whale, instead of a dragon.

I will say this to back up Melville's theory. There is a work at the Nelson that is supposed to depict lions, but since the artist (sculptor) had never seen lions, they came out looking like giant rats.

From Chapter 84 - Pitchpoling:

"Queequeg believed strongly in anointing his boat, and one morning not long after the German ship Jungfrau disappeared, took more than customary pains in that occupation; crawling under its bottom, where it hung over the side, and rubbing in the unctuousness as though diligently seeking to insure a crop of hair from the craft's bald keel."

When you read this, what did you think? Was he actually swimming under the ship and rubbing oil in? Or did he do it from one of the smaller boats?


(technorati tag)

2 Comments:

Blogger Degolar said...

If I had to pick a favorite character, it would be Stubb. He seems like a fun and charismatic guy.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

1. In the voting for favorite character, Queequeg wins; Ishmael's second. I don't trust any of the ship's administration. Maybe I have issues with authority--or rather authority figures that let you down, and who don't keep the best interests of the ship and the crew in mind.

2. I like all your observations (and love the art), but this comment sticks in my mind, "you can be sure that if I tell you I'll do something, it will be done." I wish I was so noble. When I say I'll do something or say I want to do something I have every intention of making it happen...but honestly, I can't say it works out that way. "I try all things; I achieve what I can." (i heart h.m.)

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home